07 October 2007

Tokyo nightlife

I went to an "international party" with some friends. Although there were quite a few British middle-aged men there, there were also lots of really nice Japanese people. Some people joined us to go get some food after the party and we had a grand time walking around Harajuku. We went to a club called Womb, which I hear is the club in the movie Babel but I haven't seen that movie all the way through yet).

Trains stop running at about midnight, although there are exceptions. Basically, if you don't go home before the middle of the night you either hire a taxi or walk.

Or stay out until 5am at said club while waiting for the trains to start running again.


I walked around Shinjuku today, it's a very nice place, the maps are helpful but one of the stores I was looking for was just off of the scope of most of the maps I looked at by a little, so it took me a while to find the larger of the 2 Kinokunias (a bookstore).

I picked up the original Nelson kanji dictionary finally, quite a set-back monetarily but I think I will try and learn a lot more kanji from here on out, my class is interesting but the kanji period is very long and not very profitable to your knowledge of kanji (if you have studied radicals at all before).

I signed up for a club called Enbushi -- archaic Taiko dance and modern hip-hop dancing, it looks really fun although I have relatively no dancing experience. We have practice tomorrow and then every Tuesday and Thursday after that, I can dig it.

I bought my first CD in Japan today. There was a guy playing a guitar but I am not sure what the type is called -- you just have to pluck the strings on the neck and the pick-ups will do the amplification for you -- no need to strum (although you still can).
He was really good so I cranked out the 2000 yen for a cd, I must say that "Butterfly Effect+" (name of the album and a song) by Otofuke (artist) is something I want to hear more of as I walk in and out of train terminals.

Classes look like I will get pretty busy very quickly, which is more of a relief than anything else -- city strolling is fun but tiring.

This evening my 11-year-old sister made curry and rice. This place is great.

Now I just need to get an SD-card for my phone and I can chill to these sweet tunes on the train.

I should send my brother this CD -- pleasant surprise.

In other news, I have signed up for some English-teaching-information session, as well as a couple of excursions to teach English for a day, I will finally have an income huzzah.

How I cherish the fall breeze.

1 comment:

Brendan Elliott (武戀殿・絵理夫) said...

A Taiko + hip-hop club at Waseda! That's wild and sounds very interesting/cool. You'll have to tell us more about it after you start. ;)