Today was Gaba.
Gaba is an English teaching school in Japan. There are quite a few English schools here, it's a one-on-one conversation school. Larger companies, such as Nova (pictured below) and Shane are among many that currently have operations in Japan. Private tutoring is a very common practice, but lots of Japanese people also go to places like Gaba to help them with their English. Japanese people have lots of English classes in school but unfortunately not a lot of speaking practice, mostly written grammar and reading.
Today a large portion of our Japan Study group went to Gaba looking for work. All went well except for the part where I don't have a work permit or a bank account in Japan yet so I'll have to get those pretty soon, before I can work anyway.
Jon and I headed to Harajuku to the great Book-off which they have there (large store, sells used books by the boatload). Today it was closed.
Jon and I got some food and headed toward his house, the office where we could pick up our Foreign Alien Registration Cards is not too far and that's where we went.
I saw people playing Go for the first time since I came to Japan. Go is a very interesting game and it takes a lot of thinking.
Jon and I stopped by a shop and bought a box containing a random Mario game figurine. It was similar to the European Kinder-eggs which are chocolate and vanilla eggs, the inside contains a small plastic capsule with a toy.
I got a goomba. He stands proud and armless in the face of fear.
In the hours when I was returning home I decided to take some more photos of my neighborhood. There are many beautiful houses, although seeming small they are very large compared to the average Tokyo abode. I also did not hesitate to photograph the plentitude of luxurious cars I saw in some drives.
Go-go arubaito~
No comments:
Post a Comment